|Home / Educational / Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment / Safe & Healthy Kids|
Safe & Healthy Kids
TUPE provides funding through an application process for tobacco-specific instruction, reinforcement activities, special events and cessation programs for students.
Proposition 99, approved by the California voters in the November 1988 general election, increased, by 25 cents, the tax on each pack of cigarettes sold in the state. The annual Budget Act appropriates funds from the Tobacco Surtax Fund for several purposes, including tobacco-use prevention education in schools. The Tobacco Education Research and Oversight Committee (TEROC) serves as the body responsible for providing oversight and leadership to all tobacco prevention efforts in California. Of the Tobacco-Use Prevention Education (TUPE) funds allocated to the California Department of Education (CDE) for school-based tobacco-use prevention education programs, the Budget Act language requires 90 percent of the local assistance funds be allocated to local educational agencies (LEAs) for programs in schools. The remaining 10 percent of local assistance funds are used for innovative and promising projects, programs for Indian Education Centers, research, curricular support dissemination, and accountability. The Department of Health Services (DHS) also receives anti-tobacco health education monies to fund a statewide media campaign and community tobacco-use prevention and reduction programs. Competitive grants are offered for projects targeting a number of groups, including school-age youth.
The TUPE program provides funding through an application process for tobacco-specific student instruction, reinforcement activities, special events, and cessation programs for students. All LEAs that are certified as having a fully implemented tobacco-free school district board policy are eligible to apply for funding. Programs in grades four through eight are funded through an entitlement process based on average daily attendance (a.d.a.). Programs in grades nine through twelve and six through eight are funded through a competitive Request for Applications process. Programs are locally developed, but they are expected to align with the Principles of Effectiveness, the research base in Getting Results and the Health Framework for California Public Schools. (Each county office of education is eligible to receive funding to assist school districts within their county in program development, to provide staff development for school and district personnel, and to provide technical assistance as needed.)
The purpose of the TUPE program is to reduce youth tobacco use by helping young people make healthful tobacco-related decisions through tobacco-specific educational instruction and activities that build knowledge as well as social skills and youth development assets. Collaboration with community-based tobacco control programs is an integral part of program planning. The school, parents, and the larger community must be involved in the program so that students will be aware of a cohesive effort and concern for their health and, consequently, their ability to succeed in school.
The Department of Health Services (DHS) also receives anti-tobacco health education monies to fund a statewide media campaign and community tobacco-use prevention and reduction programs. Competitive grants are offered for projects targeting a number of groups, including school-age youth.
Preventing tobacco use is an effective weapon in combating four of the five leading causes of death in California: heart disease, cancer, chronic obstructive lung disease, and fires caused by smoking.
Principles of Effectiveness:
Having tobacco-free schools is one of our nation's highest priorities. Recipients of TUPE funds must use those funds in ways that are most likely to reduce tobacco use among youth. Recipients shall coordinate their TUPE funded programs with other available prevention efforts to maximize the impact of all the tobacco prevention programs and resources available, and shall: